Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Artist Spotlight: SHOKO HACHIYA


A very talented friend, Shoko Hachiya will be exhibiting her work next Tuesday, December 11th at the Tin Can Ale House. She will have her incredible paintings hanging on the wall and will be premiering a new film at 9:30 pm. Hope to see you there! Here's a little interview I had with Shoko recently, check it out!


  • ---Shoko, you work in a wide variety of mediums, what was the first form of media you experimented with?
    I bought several colors of india ink and a few acrylic paints when I started painting a few years ago.

    ---You have a show coming up December 11th at the Tin Can. Tell us about the body of work that will be on display there.
    In this show "Head Space," I will be showing a few different series of works that render "head space." These works are visualization of different ways to perceive and process the reality and certain feelings. I read a lot and I love how writers use words literally, metaphorically, realistically, surrealistically and abstractedly etc to construct their stories. In one of his books, Soseki Natsume used the color “red” a lot to describe the main character’s feeling in the end of the book. Kobo Abe repeatedly used “transparent” in the end of The Ark Sakura. Like how writers use visual descriptions to tell stories, I wanted to tell some sort of stories in the “head space” with visual art.
    I will also show an experimental short film at the opening.
    ---You are also affiliated with something called Eagle's Nest Productions. Can you tell us a little about that?
     Eagles Nest Productions is a video production company that Glen Romett and I started. I got a hold of a camera and we sort of spontaneously started documenting local events, making short films and music videos and stuff like that. What’s happening in San Diego’s creative community is very exciting and good quality, so one of the Eagles Nest’s aim is to document them well. We just finished a video for this local band JOY, their whole live set at Casbah, and we are very happy with it. The short film I will show at the opening is also Eagles Nest side of me. All the music in the film is by local San Diego musicians.

    ---What inspires you?
     Books and distinct worldviews and Dali (my cat).

    ---Who are some of your favorite artists?
     Francis Bacon, Jeremy Geddes.

    ---What can we look forward to seeing from you in the near future?
    Multimedia attack.

No comments:

Post a Comment